Glossary of Terms
A B C
- Abortion - See Induced Termination of Pregnancy.
- Age-Specific Death Rate - Number of deaths occurring to a
specific age group per 100,000 population in that group, with
the exception of the age group under one year of age which is
per 1,000 live births.
- Age-Specific Fertility Rate - Number of live births occurring to
women of a specific age group per 1,000 females in that age
- Birth Rate - Number of live births per 1,000 population.
- Cause-Specific Death Rate - Number of deaths from a specific
cause per 100,000 population.
- Crude Death Rate - Number of deaths per 1,000 population.
D E F
- Divorce Rate - Number of persons divorced per 1,000 population.
- Fertility Rate - Number of resident live births per 1,000
females 15-44 years of age.
- Fetal Death - A fetal death of 350 grams or more, or in the absence of weight, 20 completed weeks of gestation or more.
(Note: Induced abortions are excluded from the fetal death
- Fetal Death Rate - Number of fetal deaths per 1,000 live births.
- Hispanic Origin - Hispanic origin refers to persons whose
ancestry, national group, lineage, heritage, or country of birth
originated from a Spanish speaking country or culture.
- Induced Termination of Pregnancy - The intentional termination
of pregnancy for a purpose other than to produce a live-born
infant or to remove a dead fetus.
- Infant Death - A death of a live-born infant under one year of
- Infant Mortality Rate - Number of infant deaths per 1,000 live
J K L
- Live Birth - A birth in which the child shows evidence of life
(includes heart action, breathing, or a coordinated movement of
a voluntary muscle) after complete birth.
- Low Birthweight - A live birth weighing less than 2,500 grams (5
pounds, 9 ounces). (See also Very Low Birthweight).
M N O
- Marriage Rate - Number of persons married per 1,000 population.
- Maternal Death - A death due to complications of pregnancy,
childbirth, and the puerperium.
- Maternal Death Rate - Number of maternal deaths per 10,000 live
births. (Rates by race since 1975 are by race of mother per
10,000 live births).
- Miscarriage - See Fetal Death
- Neonatal Death - A death of a live-born infant under 28 days of
- Neonatal Mortality Rate - Number of neonatal deaths per 1,000
- Other Termination - Total number of fetal deaths and induced
- Other Termination Rate - Number of other terminations per 1,000
live births by race of mother.
P Q R
- Postneonatal Death - A death of an infant 28 days or more but
under one year of age.
- Postneonatal Mortality Rate - Number of postneonatal deaths per
1,000 live births.
- Pregnancies - The sum of live births, reportable fetal deaths,
and the reported induced abortions for women 10-49 years of age.
- Pregnancy Rate - The number of live births, reported fetal
deaths, and induced terminations of pregnancy per 1,000 females.
- Prenatal Care - The amount of prenatal care obtained by the
mother is determined by information on the birth certificate
concerning the month that prenatal care began and the number of
- Race - The terms "black", "white", and "other races" are used to
denote the racial groups. Definitions used for classifying race
are those specified by the Bureau of Census.
- Recorded Data - Data compiled according to geographic place
where the event occurred without regard to residence. (Recorded
data for Tennessee include events which took place within the
state, irrespective of the residences of the persons to whom the
events occurred. Beginning in 1989, recorded data for marriages
includes those obtaining a Tennessee license with the ceremony
performed out of state.)
- Resident Data - Data compiled according to the usual place of
residence of the person to whom the event occurred without
regard to the geographic place where the event occurred. For
births, infant deaths, and fetal deaths, the residence is of the
mother. (Resident data for Tennessee include events which
occurred to residents of the state irrespective of where the
events took place).
S T U
- Stillbirth/Stillborn - See Fetal Death.
- Unmarried - For live births and fetal deaths, mother married to
father item on certificate or report checked "no".
- Unmarried Birth Rate - Number of births to unmarried mother per
100 live births.
V W X Y Z
- Very Low Birthweight (VLBW) - A live birth weighing less than
1,500 grams (3 pounds, 5 ounces).